Friday, May 8, 2009

FY 2010 - LEGAL SERVICES

I have been reminded of something Studs Terkel once said when I hear about the job cuts and furloughs being taken at my favorite nonprofit organizations: “I can’t survive the day unless everyone else survives it, too. I live in a community, and if the community isn’t in good shape, neither am I.”

My sentiments exactly as I heard Pres. Obama’s proposals to the fiscal 2010 $3.5 trillion federal budget. Some of this is good news; some of it bad. I will outline several in following blogs.

First, I am overjoyed by the fact President Obama's request includes $435 million for the Legal Services Corporation ($45 million over last year) AND, further, the end of the long harmful restrictions on non-LSC funds imposed by previous Republican administrations, including the restrictions on attorney's fees and participation in class action lawsuits.

A March 14 Washington Post editorial pointed out that, “Legal Services is also barred from using public or private funds to engage in a range of activities…. none should limit what local legal-aid clinics can do with money they raise privately. Sen. Tom Harkin (D-Iowa) is spearheading an effort to address many of these issues…. Such reforms are long overdue.”

I can’t begin to describe what this will do for social justice! Let’s make it happen!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home